Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nutcracker

Ella and I have been blessed with a very cultural weekend. On Friday evening, we enjoyed a night at the ballet with two of our dearest friends, Brooke and Kelly. We had the great privilege of attending the opening night performance of the Nutcracker ballet that was put on by the Caledonia Ballet Dance Company. What made this event so extra special was that of one the sweet girls who babysits for us (on the rare occasion that Scott and I go out) was dancing. Her name is Victoria and she is lovely both inside and out. She is so fantastic with all the kids, they are always thrilled to have her come over. However, we haven't been able to have her sit for us lately since she has been so busy rehearsing for her performance.
We made an evening of it. Kelly and I have had all the best intentions of having a "ladies night out" with our young girls, however the business of us both teaching and managing our families of 5 have left us a little on the empty side when it comes to planning a creative evening out. So we did the whole bit, got dressed up, drove the car that was freshly cleaned in and out (not the van) and then we took them out to a nice dinner in town. I picked up some cute coloring and sticker books with the Nutcracker theme and Kel wisely packed snack bags for the girls.
Dinner consisted of ooddles of giggles and slightly rambunctious behavior (but hey it wasn't at one of our homes, prepared by one of us for 10) The girls of course split mac n cheese while Kel and I enjoyed a nicer selection. We stopped to pick up some flowers for our favorite ballerina and headed to the show. Thing girls were giddy and full of energy (rightly so since we demanded naps earlier in the day). I had tried explaining how it would go to Ella. The only thing she could relate it to was the My Little Pony Show I took her to right before Christian was born. (for those who need a mental picture, think Disney on Ice but on stage and LOUDER). I was fairly confident that Ella would enjoy this experience. We sat next to Victoria's family and once the show began the girls were instantly captivated. Ella was in awe. I whispered in her ear how the story began telling they wouldn't be taking or singing. She looked at me and said, 'yea, I KNOW mom, they are going to tell the story with their dancing and the music." She was thrilled when Victoria came out of the humongous present dressed as the Queen Doll. Pointing and gasping in delight and excitement. She sat on her knees on the edge of her seat the entire time. Just before intermission she looked up at me and whispered with glee, "this is a magical wonderland". Her favorite scene was the dance of the snowflakes. After two hours of awe, just as it was finishing she says to me, "it can't be over is it???" I am sure that I spent more time watching her than I did the dancers. I thought is was so magical to watch her enjoy and understand this new venue and experience. Right before the performance began.
Ella and Brooke danced around flitting here and there (which turned into the "way past your bedtime delirium") waiting to give Victoria her flowers.

These smiles are TOO BIG and it must have taken every ounce of will power in their body to hold it together for this picture.


Visiting with their ballerina, Victoria.

Kel emailed me these pictures today (thankfully one of us had the where with all to bring the camera) and in it she told me of this adorable and oh-so-Brooke-response.

Brooke who will turn 4 next month, says the following to Kel after she has tucked her into bed. "I am so happy to be able to go to the Nutcracker with you, Ella, and Liza." Kelly replies "I am happy too Brooke, goodnight". As Kelly leaves the room Brooke says, "but mom, why didn't we get to crack any nuts?"

All of these memories we are making right now are so precious and wonderful. So many times this season I have said to Scott that I want to freeze this holiday season. The kids are never going to be more perfect than this. These are the things that childhood is supposed to be made of. The splendor, the magic, the wonder, and of course the excitement. Ahh, I am making it my goal this week to not get caught up in the bustle, but to sit down and enjoy this time with the kids.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a wonderful night full of memories! How special for Ella to feel connected to both the performance and the art.