Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where did it go wrong?

Last night as we tucked our little darlings into bed we reassured them that when they woke up it would be Saturday and we'd have the WHOLE day to spend time together. Yet this morning at the stroke of 6:00 a.m. both the little munchkins were on each side of our bed ready to go. We fought it at first telling them it was WAY too early and tried to march them right back down to their beds. That only lasted a matter of minutes and then they were back up here begging for food. So in my delirious, sleep deprived state I growled to Scott, "just turn the TV on for them!" He was shocked and sensed my need for sleep so he obeyed just as I told him. This tactic only worked for a short time. It was followed by screams from the living room and then more proclamation of "starving-ness". They must have sensed our exhaustion but they were relentless in their pursuit to get us out of bed. So we were up and enjoying a breakfast of COFFEE, french toast, bacon and eggs before any of the normal people in our neighborhood. Christian was the only pumpkin that got the memo. He slept in until 9:00 and awoke with coos and smiles. Next Saturday I think I will just crawl into the crib with him that way maybe none of the other little "early risers" will find me.













I'm not sure what part of their little brains are broken. Honestly, I mean who wakes up at the literal crack of dawn for no good reason. It wasn't that we promised them this fantastically fun day. No trips to Disney or even the library. Just a quintessentially perfect day to sleep in: lots of rain, cool temps, and sheer exhaustion from a busy week. Nonetheless sleep has evaded me yet again. What I wouldn't give for a whole day to rest up.













The kids love the rain and jumped at the chance to go out and play in it. Still donning their p.j.s, the dressed in the necessary equipment and headed out. They splashed in our 'pool' (as we so lovingly refer to the massive puddle that forms in the turn around driveway) as they walked with dad to get the newspaper. What fun they had splashing in the puddles and walking around with the 'brellas' as Carter calls them. Carter even did some extra curricular activities. He has these big trucks---thank you again Grandma Moorlag--that he would race down the driveway and through the huge puddle. He was soaking and dirty--but then I would be more suprised if Carter wasn't muddy from head to toe after a rainstorm. :)










I couldn't even coax the kids into taking a nap together this afternoon (yet another reason I know something is wrong with them. Who doesn't love a good nap on a rainy Saturday???) So after folding 32 loads of laundry(ok maybe this is a slighty inaccurate number), taking Gus for a manicure and shots, and in attempt to shoot for an easy and early bedtime we decided to throw on our swimming suits and head to the pool. Just for fun we brought Christian in with us this time. He loved it....well not ALL the splashing in his face but the kid never cried the entire afternoon. Scott asks if we are SURE that Carter and Christian are for sure related?? I keep telling him that Carter may look like my side of the family but Christian's generally sunny personality is ALL mine. Especially the overly happy morning person part...or maybe not so much. So we spent the afternoon swimming, diving, playing in the fountains, and floating the lazy river on noodles. It was great and SCORE: the kids went down in what we have now coined THE ZONE: tired enough to go down without a fight but not too tired to meltdown. This is a glorious night in the Moorlag house and we aim to have more of these nights. However, after giving lots of whale rides, swimming under water to amuse Carter, and fighting the mighty current of the lazy river because it pleased Carter oh yes, and the lack of sleep from the previous 6 months: I am exhausted. I will head to bed only to be summonded by the babe in a few hours for his meal. I should be cleaning the house more thoroughly since we have 10 adults, 12 kids, and 2 babysitters coming over for small group tomorrow. But I figure..what the heck the house'll just be dirty by 8:00 why rush it? I'll just wait until 30 minutes before everyone arrives and dash around here throwing toys in any inconspicous spot. Here are a few extra shots from the week.






Ella looking exceptionally cute in a dress Grandma Moorlag
got her.

Enjoying a sunny afternoon on the playset:

Christian found the rope fascinating.

By the time Carter was done with this project we could barely see the dozer

4 comments:

grandma m said...

Just reading your blog makes me tired! (Grandpa should live with you. He'd get a long great with your early risers!) Can't wait to interact with Christian in a few weeks. Ella looks like she's getting taller! And Carter, well, he's just Carter! Talk to you soon.

Kirsten Carlson said...

I love the rain coats, boots, and umbrellas! I definitely need to invest in some rain gear for my kiddos! After our wet day outside today, I have a feeling they are going to want to head out at the first sign of rain in the future!!!

Lisa said...

What a great post, and a tribute to what great parents you two are. I'm jealous of the pool -- why doesn't every city have this???

Margo Lynn Laug said...

Oh my Liza. How do you do it? Although, I can completely relate to the early risers part, my two are up at 6am seven days a week!