I am always up for a fun, cutesy holiday. In the last, the kids and I made Valentine mobiles to send to Grandparents in lieu of cards. We decorated the windows with heart cling ons and even have a glittzy L-O-V-E banner hanging around to remind us how much we love each other. Well this week, Elle is NOT feeling the love. She is just a touch bitter about the cards she's been dealt. You see she and I were supposed to have this fabulous "girls day" on Wednesday. I took off the day from school and we were going to attend her school field trip to the Children's Museum together. She had been talking about all the details for weeks. However, shortly after I tucked myself into bed on Tuesday night I was startled awake by my panicked husband. Ella had summoned him to her room to pick up a stuffed animal and in doing so he discovered that she had thrown up all over the side of the bed, the floor, and the aforementioned stuffed animal.
YUCK! As those of you who know my dear husband and his aversion to anything "bloody or gross" can imagine his urgency to get me involved in the cleanup mess. To make a long story short Ella threw up about 12-15 times in the next 5 hours. It was very messy and included Scott and I taking turn steam cleaning the basement carpet at 1:30 in the morning. At about 2 it all hit Ella that she would not be able to go on the field trip which in turn geared up the emotional hysterics. Ahhh! Poor thing to be that sick, but then to have to miss that fun day. On top of all of this Christian is cutting his front two teeth and was up 2 to 3 times (at this point, everything in time and space is a little blurry). Between Scott and I we each got about 1 1/2-2 hours sleep...maybe??? I spent my "day off" tending to our not so well feeling children. However, Carter felt fine and wanted to play and be rough and CRAZy which is shockingly annoying to the sleep deprived and sick!
About our Valentine's day: I try to make these days fun, cozy and memorable so I had intentions of serving heart shaped waffles (yes, I have the waffle iron to prove it) and strawberries with hugs and kisses lining their plates. However, in our best interest I served heart shaped toast and eggs to Carter. We didn't want to leave the kids with a sitter so I made steaks and shrimp on the grille (which was an endeavor because the propane tank was empty so I had to go exchange that at the gas station). We even enjoyed wine! Since the kids weren't feeling well we put them to bed early, really early.....and seizing the opportunity, Scott worked since he has been madly busy (which I KNOW I am grateful for in this economy) I did a little scrap booking and went to bed early. I forgot to mention that we did exchange gifts earlier in the day. Each of the kids got a new book, a new piece of clothing, and Carter got one of his Cars, Ella a beading kit.
Turns out Scott and I had a theme going and we didn't even plan it. He splurged and got me a trip to Design One for some pampering and a massage. I got him a fancy shmancy shower head for our bathroom. He loves long hot showers and I figured he could use an upgrade! We love it each sooooo much. The woooing of previous Valentine's Days are not forgotten and we will get there again we just happen to be in this stage NOW. I wouldn't trade it for anything because this is what true love it all about. Going through these stages together!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm laughing reading this. We experienced a very similar Valentine's Day, minus the sick child (thankfully). I'm so sorry to hear that about Ella -- a sick child is such a toughie! Thank goodness you already had the next day off of work. I hope no one else contracted it!
Poor Ella! The flu has been going around our house too, yuck! It sounds like you still mangaged to have a fun Valentine's Day! Isn't it funny how life changes... for the BEST!!!
Post a Comment