Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Start of Our MN Adventure

 On Monday morning we woke up bright and early and set off on a MAJOR adventure. The kids and I loaded up the van and trekked from our house to Willmar, MN. We have made the trip many times before, this time we were missing Dad. It was fun to try something new! I wasn't used to doing all the driving myself. Usually when we make the trip I will take a leg or two of the 12 hour trip. But this time I did it all myself! I was pretty tickled with myself. I was dependent on the GPS as my co-pilot and the kids did a great job of "helping" out. We split the first day up by stopping in Chicago for a few hours to explore the Lincoln Park Zoo! We got there right when the zoo opened and saw so many animals. They knew it would be hot so they were out and about bright and early.

 The Lions
 Lazy Tigers
 The ant exhibit
 Meerkats were a favorite this year!
 Up close to the giraffes during feeding time {awesome!}
 The laziest seal EVER!
 One of the monkeys escaped...oh wait that's one of mine!
Climbing in one of the cool "kid zones"
 Serously so cool....the black bear was sitting right next to us in the log....
 Elle wanted to get a picture with me in it, too!
 The map reader, telling us where to go next!
It was such a fun morning! Then we were off to Portage, WI. We spent the night in a hotel there to break up the trip. We got Subway for dinner and took it to our hotel room. Then hung out at the hotel pool until bedtime! We woke up early, had breakfast and hit the road. We had a smooth trip through Wisconsin through the Twin Cities and hit our only glitch when one of the roads was closed. Fear not, I managed through the detour and we were back on track! We arrived at Grandma and Grandpa's around 2:00. We played at Grandma's and were ready for our adventures at Redwood Falls for Tuesday!

No comments: